Ok. Have I told yall how much I love serving a mission!?!
The e-mail is long... BUT IT IS WORTH IT, keep Reading!
Yesterday was THE best day I have every had since I have been here. It is funny how even with really hard things going on, Heavenly Father can help you understand His love for His children... I have felt that incomprehensible joy that is talked about by Alma and the sons of Mosiah.
Miracle numero uno: (That means number one)
Lee Ann is getting baptised THIS Saturday! We have had a few lengthy discussions with her in the past week and she realized that she is ready for baptism and needs to be an example to her family. We went over to her house a couple days ago and were talking with her. She was afraid that we had given up on Charlie. I reassured her that we have not given up, we just know that she needs to take this next step. It was been very difficult for her emotionally, but she knows it is right and is going forward with it. I am so proud of her! She is such an amazing woman!We told Lee Ann about priesthood blessings and thier power. She decided that she wanted one at church the next day. I sat with her at church yesterday (Sister Smith was sitting with the family that I will talk about below). A member of the Stake Presidency was speaking. He is a very organized and knowledgable man. He said that he had been preparing his talk for this ward for weeks and he felt really good about it until the night before. The Spirit directed him to change his topic. He spoke on Priesthood Blessings. Heavenly Father is so mindful of His children! That is exactly what LeeAnn needed, her testimony was strengthened in the authority that God has given to man!If yall could keep Lee Ann in your prayers this week, it would be very appreciated. It will be difficult for her, she needs all the love and support from Zion that she can get.
Miracle numero dos: (the second miracle)
We have been working with this Part Member/Less Active Family since we got here. The couple has one son who had a brain tumor. The mom and son are members. The husband (his nickname is Bear... and he looks like one... he is a very large man and he has a lot of hair : )) was raised in Salt Lake City as a Catholic. He went over to Baptist and Penticostal Religions in his teens. He knows his bible very well. Missionaries have been visiting them for over 8 years now. They really like the missionaries but up until this point Bear wouldn't listen to their message.Sister Smith and I have gone over to see them about once a week. They are so nice to us, they give us food and water all the time. They really live Christlike lives towards their fellow men. Up until this point, Bear has NEVER set foot in an LDS Church building. He was scared to death of them. Last week, we went over to their house. The conversation was usual, Bear and Brandi would talk about certain things as Sister Smith and I would interject bits and peices of our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and Modern Day Prophets. Suddenly, Bear stopped and looked at me, square in the eyes. He said, "You were in my dream the other night." I was taken back by the comment... it was completely random. I hesitantly stated, "...Really... Was this a good thing?" Bear said, "Yes, I was at church with you and all the Elder's kept coming up to you and asking how in the world you had gotten me to church." I excitedly asked, "How DID I get you to church Bear?" He looked around for a few seconds then with a half smile said, "You asked me."
Pause: You must keep in mind, we have been inviting Bear to church during almost every visit. Missionaries have been trying every method with this family for the past eight years: manipulation, guilt-tripping, pleading... you name it.
It was about at this point that I felt an extremely persistant nudge in my side from my companion, "ASK HIM!!!" said Sister Smith urgently. Startled, by Sister Smith's quick retaliation on the matter at hand, and the amazing oportunity that Bear had presented to me, I looked back at Bear with an excited smile and said, "Bear, will you come to church this Sunday with us?" He said that he would, without hesitation: MIRACLE!!!
The even greater miracle... Shawn Parker, I hope you are paying attention: HE CAME!!! He cried during sacrament meeting. We went over to his house after dinner and talked with him for two hours about all the questions he had. Luckily, there were four missionaries there. Also, I have a very intelligent companion that can articulate things in such a way that the spirit can touch those listening. I Love Sister Smith!He has decided that from now on, we can teach him the lessons. Before this point, he didn't want to hear too much of it. I feel so humbled and blessed that Heavenly Father has let me be a part of this experience. He loves us all SO much!
Well, that is all for now. I hope yall are doing well, that yall are being good, you know, keeping the commandments, going to the temple regularly, and working hard. (I don't doubt it)
I love yall, and pray for you every day!The field is ripe!
Love, Sister Thacker
Monday, August 25, 2008
Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles
Posted by Cassie Jo at 12:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment