Monday, September 29, 2008

Clarksville

My Dear Family-

This week has been an interesting one. I finally feel like I belong here. It took a couple of days. Clarksville is very different. The ward members circulate because of deployments so it is really hard to get people excited about missionary work.

I don't know if this story will make yall feel better, but I had a feeling I should share it. So you know how I am not really the "Homesick" type... I will admit I was a little homesick at the beginning of my mission. It lasted for about a week. I thought that phase was over, until I went to the Relief Society broadcast on Saturday night.

As the broadcast began and I saw the choir of women in white, I suddenly realized how much I loved and missed my family and home. The same thing happened when I went to church for the first time in Tennessee. I guess it is the familiarity of home that makes those feelings surface. Before the opening prayer was even said, I was in tears. I missed my mom, and all my family. I missed Salt Lake City, where Mormon isn't a dirty word and I am not the minority. I said a couple of prayers and I was fine again. From your last letter, it sounds like I am being a little too formal and you want to know how I am really feeling...

In truth, I love my mission! I love being out here. But I do miss home, when I am reminded of it. I suppose I have been trying to loose myself in the work. I have gotten lost... every now and then I have a little reality check though.

It is interesting how you enjoyed the same portion of President Uchdorf's talk as I did. I think everyone has the desire to create, in some way. I think that is a inherent gift to everyone. It shows our potential for God-hood. I don't know why so many people have a problem with that doctrine. We are so very blessed to have a living prophet. I look forward to General Conference with even more anticipation than before. I love learning about the Gospel. In my quest to do so, I have realized just how little I actually know and understand. But with the help my little friend the Holy Ghost, I have been learning so much.

I have had a strengthened witness from the spirit about the reality of modern day prophets. I love being able to hear from them and realized what I need to change. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much!

I love Sister Cordon and Sister Williams. I have been over blessed with excellent companions. They are hard workers and are completely dedicated to the Lord!

Love,
Sister Thacker

P.S. Thanks to everyone who have been sending me things in the mail! It really brightens my day to get packages and letters from yall!

0 comments: